Who we are
The Institute at a glance
The Global CCS Institute is an international membership organisation. Our mission is to accelerate the development, demonstration and deployment of carbon capture and storage (CCS), a vital technology to tackle climate change and provide energy security.
Working with and on behalf of our Members, we drive the adoption of CCS as quickly and cost effectively as possible by sharing expertise, building capacity and providing advice and support so that this vital technology can play its part in reducing greenhouse gas emissions.
Our diverse international membership consists of governments, global corporations, small companies, research bodies and non-government organisations, committed to CCS as an integral part of a low-carbon future.
We are headquartered in Melbourne, Australia with offices in Washington DC, Brussels, Beijing and Tokyo.
History and governance
The Institute was established in 2009 with initial funding from the Australian Government to accelerate the development of CCS globally. Our governance and advisory support comprises a Board of Directors, International Advisor, Chief Executive Office and Leadership Team.
Vision for CCS
- CCS is a vital technology to tackle climate change and provide energy security
- To accelerate the development, demonstration and deployment of CCS globally
- Fact-based influential advice and advocacy
- Authoritative knowledge sharing
- Increased understanding and acceptance of CCS
- Increased commercial opportunities for CCS
- Increased support for CCS in international and national energy and climate change policies
- Global Status of CCS: This report is the world’s most comprehensive stocktake and analysis of CCS progress around the world.
- Publications: The Institute authors, publishes and shares many CCS-related publications. Many of these are also available in Korean, Japanese, Chinese and Arabic.
- Events and webinars: The Institute hosts events and webinars for its Members and stakeholders in various regions and time zones around the world.
- CO2degrees: The Institute also hosts CO2degrees Challenge, an informative and engaging website to educate the public on the vital role of CCS.