- Get Involved
- Understanding CCS
- About the Institute
FEED study reports from two US projects released
Date:27 Feb 2012
This month, the Global CCS Institute released four reports from two North American CCS projects: Tenaska Trailblazer located in West Texas and American Electric Power’s (AEP) Mountaineer project in West Virginia.
Tenaska Trailblazer recently finalised its front end engineering design (FEED) study and has shared a detailed report with the Institute outlining results. Planning to use Fluor’s Economine FG Plus capture technology, the report provides insights into a diverse range of issues including:
- the overall scope of the carbon capture plan facility;
- process engineering approaches;
- services, equipment and materials;
- plant designs, including models;
- the engineering, procurement and construction (EPC) planning strategy;
- capital and operating costs;
- health, safety and environmental issues; and
- a performance summary.
AEP has also finalised its FEED study and, following a webinar broadcast in December 2011, the much anticipated FEED report is now available. AEP planned to use Alstom’s Chilled Ammonia technology in a retrofit to its existing 1300MW plant in New Haven, West Virginia and has undertaken extensive testing at the product validation unit on site. The FEED report discusses in detail, AEP’s retrofit philosophy and approach to the overall system design (including process equipment requirements, balance of plant equipment, and results of the detailed carbon storage studies). An overall project cost estimate is also provided.
The Institute has also made available two further reports from AEP this month.
- A business case report, discussing the commercial and financial issues of a CCS project in the current market environment, as well as the necessary assistance needed and factors required to bring CCS projects to a commercial stage.
- A lessons learnt report where AEP shares the high level lessons, across various topics such as technical, commercial, permitting and storage, which they have garnered through several years of detailed examination of CCS.