- Get Involved
- Understanding CCS
- About the Institute
9 CO2 enhanced oil recovery as CCS
- Most anthropogenic CO2 currently being geologically stored is associated with CO2 EOR.
- To be considered CCS, CO2 EOR must demonstrate that the storage of injected anthropogenic CO2 is permanent. Regulations and policy are required to transition from CO2 EOR to CCS.
- Current CO2 EOR activities contribute to technical and scientific knowledge and public confidence around CCS.
- CO2 EOR is an important commercial driver in some regions, and also supports some CCS demonstration activity.
- CO2 EOR presents important opportunities for CCS demonstration in the near term.
Topics:Enhanced oil recovery (EOR)