Large Scale CCS Projects
Globally, there are 14 large-scale CCS projects in operation, with a further eight under construction. The 22 projects in operation or under construction represents a doubling since the start of this decade. The total CO2 capture capacity of these 22 projects is around 40 million tonnes per annum.
There are another 14 large-scale CCS projects at the most advanced stage of development planning, the Concept Definition (or Define) stage, with a total CO2 capture capacity of around 20 million tonnes per annum. A further 15 large-scale CCS projects are in earlier stages of development planning (the Evaluate and Identify stages) and have a total CO2 capture capacity of around 30 million tonnes per annum.
Large-scale CCS projects in the power sector are now a reality, demonstrated by:
- The world’s first large-scale power sector CCS project – the Boundary Dam Integrated Carbon Capture and Sequestration Demonstration Project in Canada (CO2 capture capacity of 1 Mtpa) – becoming operational in October 2014
- Commissioning activities on a new-build 582 megawatt (MW) power plant beginning at the Kemper County Energy Facility in Mississippi (US, CO2 capture capacity of 3 Mtpa) with CO2 capture expected to commence in the first half of 2016
- The Petra Nova Carbon Capture Project at the W.A. Parish power plant near Houston, Texas (US, CO2 capture capacity of 1.4 Mtpa) entering construction in July 2014, with CO2 capture anticipated by the end of 2016.
Outside of the power sector:
- The Uthmaniyah CO2-EOR Demonstration Project in Saudia Arabia was launched in July 2015. The project is capable of capturing around 0.8 million tonnes of CO2 per annum from the Hayiwah NGL (natural gas liquids) Recovery Plant.
- The world’s first iron and steel project to apply CCS at large scale moved into construction in the UAE in the latter part of 2013. The Abu Dhabi CCS Project (CO2 capture capacity of 0.8 Mtpa) involves CO2 capture from the direct reduced iron process used at the Emirates Steel plant in Abu Dhabi.
Definitions of what constitutes a large-scale integrated project and of the various stages in the lifecycle of a project are found at: http://www.globalccsinstitute.com/projects/large-scale-ccs-projects-definitions
The database below provides an overview of all the large-scale CCS projects identified by the Global CCS Institute around the world. Global CCS Institute descriptions of these projects are available to Members only, although in some instances links to project websites have been provided.
|Project Name||Location||Project Lifecycle Stage||Operation Date||Industry||Capture Type||Capture Capacity (Mtpa)||Transport Type||Primary Storage Type|