The Global Carbon Capture and Storage Institute Ltd (Global CCS Institute, Us, Our, We) (ABN 136 614 465) is subject to the Privacy Act 1988 (Cth), which requires that we comply with the Australian Privacy Principles (APPs) in dealing with your Personal Data.
Legal Basis for Processing Personal Data
We may use Personal Data for Our legitimate interests that include marketing membership, content, and our services, running the Institute, as well as engaging and developing Our membership. Our processing of Personal Data collected from Our websites is based primarily on this justification. However, some uses of Personal Data is necessary to comply with applicable legal or regulatory requirements.
Personal Data is information or an opinion that can identify you, or would enable your identity to be ascertained. The types of information the Global CCS Institute collects and holds includes (but is not necessarily limited to) Personal Data relating to:
- the Global CCS Institute’s members and collaborating participants
- recipients of publicity material
- contact officers and specified personnel involved in the Global CCS Institute’s projects
- interested stakeholders
- members of the Board of Management and the International Advisory Committee
- the Global CCS Institute employees and contractors.
Collection, use and disclosure of Personal Data
The Global CCS Institute only collects such information as it requires to perform our functions (set out in the Global CCS Institute’s Constitution as amended from time to time in accordance with the Australian Corporations Act).
More specifically, We will collect and process the following data about you:
- Information that you provide by filling in forms on Our websites. This includes information provided when registering on Our website (for example to receive information from us), becoming a member, posting material, or requesting further information. We may also ask you for information when you when you report a problem with Our site.
- If you contact us, We may keep a record of that correspondence.
- We may also ask you to complete surveys that We use for research purposes, although you do not have to respond to them.
- Technical details of your visits to Our site including, traffic data, location data, weblogs and other communication data, and the resources that you access. This may or may not include Personal Data.
We obtain information from you in three ways:
- either by you typing your personal details in,
- by the automatic collection of information about you as you use Our websites,
- or from third parties.
Even though We can automatically process Personal Data, We will not use solely automated means of processing your Personal Data in such a way to have any significantly adverse impact to you.
Please note that information which cannot reasonably be related to you is not considered Personal Data and is not subject to this Statement. Only information which can be connected to you is subject to this Statement.
The Global CCS Institute generally uses and discloses Personal Data for the purposes of performing our functions, conducting our business, communicating with individuals and complying with our legal obligations. This may include the dissemination of information to individuals, and facilitating and administering projects.
More specifically, We use Personal Data held about you in the following ways:
- To ensure that content from Our site is presented in the most effective manner for you;
- To provide you with the information, content, and services that you request from Us or which We feel may interest you;
- To allow you to participate in interactive features of Our sites;
- To notify you about changes to what We do;
- To protect the integrity of Our website, Our services, and Our reputation;
- To prosecute or defend legal claims; or
- To protect other users of Our websites, and to ensure no unlawful or unethical activity occurs through Our systems.
We may also use your Personal Data, or permit selected third parties to use your Personal Data, to provide you with information about services or content which may be of interest to you and We or they may contact you about these by post or telephone.
We may disclose your personal information to those members of the Global CCS Institute who you chose to interact with. Additionally, we may disclose your personal information to third parties:
- In the event that We sell or buy any entity or assets, in which case We may disclose your Personal Data to the prospective seller or buyer of the entity or assets.
- If the Global CCS Institute, or substantially all of its assets, are acquired by a third party, in which case Personal Data held will be one of the transferred assets. Similarly, your personal information may be passed on to a successor in interest in the event of a reconstruction, liquidation or administration.
- We also use demographic information to tailor the website to the interests of Our visitors. We share this with third parties so that they can build up a better picture of Our customer base and general consumer trends.
Website access and use
When you visit the website of the Global CCS Institute, a record of the following information is recorded for statistical purposes and is used to help improve our website. The following information is supplied by your browser (for example, Internet Explorer):
- the user’s server address;
- the user’s operating system (for example Windows, Mac OS etc);
- the user’s top level domain name (for example, .com, .gov, .au, .uk etc);
- the date and time of the visit to the site;
- the pages accessed and the documents downloaded;
- the previous site visited; and
- the type of browser used.
If you are only browsing Our website and have not logged in, We will not ask you to directly submit in any Personal Data. However, the information noted above (which may be considered Personal Data) will be automatically collected. This technology helps Us to improve Our site and to deliver a better and more personalized service. It helps Us:
- To estimate Our audience size and usage pattern.
- To store information about your preferences, and so allow Us to customize Our site according to your individual interests.
- To speed up your searches.
- To recognize you when you return to Our site.
The Institute may collect your Personal Data when you transmit information to the Institute through the website (e.g. if you become a registered user) or by email. If you are a registered user, your details and comments that you post on the website will be available on publicly accessible areas of the site. The Global CCS Institute will not sell, rent or otherwise disclose your user details to third parties in any manner not set out in this Privacy Statement.
This website uses Google Analytics, a web analytics service provided by Google, Inc. (“Google”). Cookies and code which are embedded in this site generate information about your use of this website, including your IP address, the pages you view, your time on this site, paths you take through the site, data on your browser and other general information intended for the purpose of aggregated analysis. This information is transmitted to and stored by Google on its servers. The Global CCS Institute uses this data to help us improve this website and our service.
Links to other websites
This website contains links to other sites. The Global CCS Institute is not responsible for the content and privacy practices of other websites.
We will take reasonable steps to ensure that your Personal Data is treated securely and in accordance with this Privacy Statement. Where We have given you (or where you have chosen) a password which enables you to access certain parts of Our site, you are responsible for keeping this password confidential. We ask you not to share a password with anyone. Unfortunately, the transmission of information via the internet cannot be completely secure. Although We will do Our best to protect your Personal Data, We cannot guarantee the security of your Personal Data transmitted to Our site; any transmission is at your own risk. Once We have received your information, We will use Our own procedures and security measures to try to prevent unauthorized access.
Disclosure to overseas recipients
The Global CCS Institute is a global organisation. As a result the data that We collect from you may be transferred to, and stored at, any of Our locations; which may be inside or outside the European Economic Area (“EEA”). The countries in which such recipients are likely to be located include Belgium, Canada, China, Japan, United Kingdom and the United States of America. Data may also be processed by staff around the world working for Us, for one of Our suppliers, or by a member of the Institute. These staff maybe engaged in, among other things, the fulfillment of your information requests, or the provision of support services. By submitting your Personal Data, you agree to this transfer, storing, or processing. We will store Personal Data we collect about you as long as it is necessary to fulfill the purposes for which we collected it or where there is a legal obligation – laws or regulation that may set a minimum period for which we have to keep your personal data. Where We disclose your Personal Data to overseas recipients, such recipients will be subject to undertakings which provide adequate safeguards as required by applicable law. For example, where We transfer Personal Data outside of the EEA, we will do so pursuant to a data transfer agreement which uses the approved Standard Contractual Clauses.
Rights to Your Personal Data
In some countries you may have the right to exercise a number of legal rights in relation to the restricting the processing of your personal information that we hold about you and you can exercise your rights as set out below.
These rights include : obtaining and accessing information regarding the processing of your personal information, requesting that we erase your personal information in certain circumstances, objecting to, and requesting that we restrict, our processing of your personal information in certain circumstances, lodging a complaint with the relevant data protection authority, if you think that any of your rights have been infringed by us.
Please note that whilst you may exercise these rights, there may be circumstances where we are legally entitled to refuse a request to exercise your rights. Generally this is when your attempt to exercise your rights infringe on another’s rights.
More specifically, You can exercise your rights to your own Personal Data held by the Global CCS Institute:
- by telephone: +61 3 8620 7300
- by email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- by mail: Global Carbon Capture and Storage Institute Ltd, PO Box 23335, Docklands VIC 8012, Australia
There is no charge for making such a request, but the Global CCS Institute may charge a reasonable fee for the work involved in locating, copying and providing access to the information. Reasonable requests for amendment or annotation of your Personal Data records will be considered and accommodated as far as possible.
Access, correction, and deletion requests must be supported by proof of identity.
Complaints and queries
If you have concerns about the privacy of your Personal Data, you should contact the Global CCS Institute in the first instance on +61 3 8620 7300. If this does not produce a satisfactory outcome, you can contact the Office of the Australian Information Commissioner by telephone on 1300 363 992, or email email@example.com.
CHANGES TO OUR PRIVACY STATEMENT
Any changes We make to this Privacy Statement in the future will be posted on this page. Please visit this page regularly to make sure you are comfortable with the Statement.