US Announces Billions for Regional Clean Hydrogen Hubs
18th October 2023
On the 13th of October 2023 the Biden-Harris administration announced an historic $7 billion USD to launch seven Regional Clean Hydrogen Hubs (H2Hubs) to accelerate the commercial-scale deployment of low-cost, clean hydrogen in order to meet climate and energy security goals.
The H2Hubs are expected to collectively reduce 25 million metric tons of carbon dioxide emissions from end-uses each year, lowering emissions from hard-to-decarbonize industrial sectors while creating tens of thousands of good-paying jobs across the country. Carbon capture and storage will play an important role here as it is integral to the production of low-carbon hydrogen.
- Appalachian Hydrogen Hub (ARCH2)
- Location: West Virginia, Ohio, Pennsylvania
- Prime Contractor: Battelle
- California Hydrogen Hub (ARCHES)
- Location: California
- Prime Contractor: Alliance for Renewable Clean Hydrogen Energy Systems (ARCHES) LLC
- Gulf Coast Hydrogen Hub (HyVelocity H2Hub)
- Location: Texas
- Prime Contractor: HyVelocity, Inc.
- Heartland Hydrogen Hub (HH2H)
- Location: Minnesota, North Dakota, South Dakota
- Prime Contractor: Energy & Environmental Research Center (EERC)
- Mid-Atlantic Hydrogen Hub (MACH2)
- Location: Pennsylvania, Delaware, New Jersey
- Prime Contractor: Mid-Atlantic Clean Hydrogen Hub, Inc.
- Midwest Hydrogen Hub (MachH2)
- Location: Illinois, Indiana, Michigan
- Prime Contractor: MachH2
- Pacific Northwest Hydrogen Hub (PNW H2)
- Location: Washington, Oregon, Montana
- Prime Contractor: Pacific Northwest Hydrogen Association