Delivering Net-Zero: Mobilising finance for CCS Deployment
19th November 2019
To rapidly accelerate the transition to a net-zero future, there is a pressing need to mobilise financing at scale for low-carbon technologies including carbon capture and storage (CCS).
On November 19, the Global CCS Institute is hosting a conference focused on financing CCS. This event taking place in London aims to identify opportunities and policies needed to secure a sustainable stream of finance for future CCS projects.
To mark our conference, the Institute with the support of the London Stock Exchange Group, is hosting a market open ceremony in the morning of the 19th. This part of the event is open exclusively for Institute members and guests only.
To date, CCS projects have been enabled mainly through equity financing coupled with grant funding. These projects being capital intensive, it is critical to understand how to make such technologies and projects more attractive to investors and financial institutions.
The Institute’s afternoon conference is hosted with the support of the UK Department for Business, Energy and Industrial Strategy (BEIS) and targets an audience of senior executives of the broad financial community.
This is an invitation-only conference.
Speakers biographies available here.
13:00 – 13:30 – Registration
13:30- 14:00 – Opening remarks and keynote addresses
Master of Ceremony- Jeff Erikson, General Manager - Client Engagement, Global CCS Institute
• Brad Page, CEO, Global CCS Institute
• Professor Chris Rapley CBE, Professor of Climate Science, University College London.
14:00 – 14:40 – Session 1 – Unlocking CCS investment: policies, business and investment models
Moderator: Guloren Turan, General-Manager, Advocacy and Communications, Global CCS Institute
• Christian Holzleitner, Head of Unit, Land Use and Finance for Innovation, DG CLIMA, European Commission
• Declan Burke, Director Energy Strategy, BEIS
• Jarad Daniels, Director, Office of Strategic Planning, Analysis and Engagement, Office of Fossil Energy, US Department of Energy
14:40 – 15:00 – In conversation with Zoe Knight, Managing Director & Group Head of the HSBC Centre of Sustainable Finance (chaired by Brad Page, CEO, Global CCS Institute)
15:00 – 15:40 – Session 2 – Facilitating CCS financing: insights from the finance community
Moderator: Eve Tamme, Senior Advisor - International Climate Change Policy, Global CCS Institute
• Abyd Karmali, Managing Director, Sustainable Finance, Bank of America
• European Investment Bank representative
• Zoe Knight, Managing Director & Group Head of the HSBC Centre of Sustainable Finance
• Adrian Rimmer, Senior Advisor, Green Finance, London Stock Exchange Group
15:40 – 16:10 – Coffee break
16:10 – 16:50 – Session 3 – A spotlight on Carbon Capture and Storage projects
Moderator: Jamie Burrows, Client Engagement Manager, Global CCS Institute
• Syrie Crouch, VP, CCS, Shell
• Steinar Eikaas, VP Low Carbon Solutions, Equinor
• Karl Smyth, Group Head of Policy and Government Relations, Drax
• Colin McGill, Net Zero Teesside Project Director, BP / OGCI Climate Investments
16:50 – 17:10 – In conversation with Bill Brown, CEO, NET Power (chaired by Brad Page, CEO, Global CCS Institute)
17:10 – 17:50 – Session 4 – A spotlight on clean technologies and innovation
Moderator: Lee Beck, Senior Advisor, Advocacy and Communications, Global CCS Institute
• Bill Brown, CEO, NET Power
• Ivano Miracca, Technology Demand Manager, Saipem
• Chris Rayner, Founder and Director, C-Capture
• Aniruddha Sharma, CEO, Carbon Clean Solutions
17:50 – 19:30 – Networking reception will follow the event.